Tuesday, February 19, 2008

When is a vote not a vote?

The answer is simple, when it is organised by the BMA.

GP's have been balloted on Gordon Brown's bullying Government's offer on changes to the new GP contract.

This offer (known as option A) has been followed by a threat (option B) if A is not accepted.

A and B are both pay cuts and it is glaringly obvious that B is worse than A.

A is not acceptable as it provides no new resources for opening longer hours, is the antithesis of family friendly working and specifically does not allow for adjustment of workload to protect patients against overworked and overtired doctors.

B could easily destabilise Genral Practice, leading to dentistry style queues for treatment. It would save the Government huge amounts of cash which could be invested in private companies and their shareholders, or to prop up an ailing mismanaged bank.

GP's have been asked to vote on whether they accept the 'offer' or the 'imposition'.

How can one vote for an imposition.

I wish for neither. I would prefer another choice.

I am opposed to both options but wish the GPC to seek all recourse to Law and ballot for possible industrial action if the Government imposes Option B.

The GPC actings on behalf of my union has had the following explanation:

'You are SELECTING one out of two lousy options. THAT is NOT ACCEPTANCE OF ANYTHING'


So I do not have a vote, a simple yes or no to option A would suffice.

The GPC are insisting that I am given a selection choice.
The explanation is that whatever I SELECT the government cannot then try and spin my choice.

They do not seem to realise that, as with al other recent proclamations on GP contracts, it will be spun and spun by Brown, Johnson, Bradshaw, and their puppets at the BBC.

The only ones who will think GP's are getting a vote will be the media, the public and the government.

Thank you GPC.

Remind yourself why I pay my subscription.

Because it won't be for long.

No comments: