Saturday, January 5, 2008

I'm off to the Noctors


Words are always evolving, coming in and out of fashion, like catchphrases do. Homer Simpsons D'Oh has even made a dictionary! Medical terminology changes constantly, usually with the advent of new illness, new drugs or tests, or sometimes by international consent.

So when we had plain Xrays, we had not heard of Ultrasound Scans, similarly we developed CT followed by MRI and PET scanning capability. The last scan is not what you would have done at the vet's either.

New drugs appear statins ,PPI ACE-I and ARB's and we change the names of old favorites to be in harmony with our international colleagues Frusemide to Furosemide.

So it goes on constant change, progress, advances, new technology, groundbreaking, pioneering, breakthroughs, all for the good of the public of large.

So is it true?

Yeah but no, but yeah but no but anyway I was goin' to the Doctors like I normally do right, but it wasn't my fault and that Tanya from the Sunbed shop she said it'd be allright becaus she said that her Alvin had heard from Gordon and Tony that it was the right thing to do...


Nooooooo, Gordon and Tony are wrong in one respect, because soon with GP Lite:The New NHS you won't go to the Doctor, you will go and see the Noctor

So What is a Noctor?

Simply

NOt
a
doCTOR

NO
undergraduate training in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Medicine, Surgery, Psychiatry,Dermatology, Obstetrics, Gynaecology, Ear Nose and Throat, Ophthalmology, Accident and Emergency, General Practice, Public Health
NO
medical degree taking 5 years to complete
NO postgraduate experience of taking responsibility for diagnosing, prescribing, management of illnesses, a minimum of 5 years postgrauate training to reach higher grades.

Today you could, be visited at home, attend a hospital clinic or walk into a walk in centre dealing with minor illness and be treated and managed by someone who has about 13 weeks training.

I'm still learning about my job, daily. I've been a Doctor for 14, an accredited GP for 8 and have dedicated myself to my profession for19 years. Do I think I could be doing that after 3 months of training?

So I take my hat off to the Noctors. They are either exceptional talents or foolhardy dangerous practitioners, mistakes waiting to happen, the ticking time bomb of the NHS because of the lack of well grounded training.




4 comments:

Nurse Anne said...

Nurses don't want to nurse? Say what?


Geez. I am simply a bedside RN with a BSN degree and even I had microbiology, anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, statistics, chemistry etc. at university. Passing those courses with a high grade was a requirement and passing a state board exam was a requirement to become a bedside nurse at my school back in the USA.

This is because the patients of university educated bedside (real) nurses with a tough science background have higher survival rates and less complications. The medical care that doctors provide is not the be all end all. Good bedside nursing care is critical for good patient outcomes.

Now I work as a band 5 staff nurse on a medical and surgical ward in the NHS.

Maybe the lack of nursing care has something to do with the fact that none of our new grad nurses in the UK can find a job and the wards are being staffed with one RN to 20 total care patients.

There is plenty of evidence to show that anything more than one nurse to 4-6 patients on a general ward means that nursing care will be shit. It cannot be done. That is before you take into consideration multiple hospital wide system failures that stop the nurses from being able to function.

Working a 12-15 hours shift without being able to pee is the norm for staff nurses on my ward. The care assistants, domestics, and other staff get their breaks and relax knowing that they don't have any accountability. It's all on the plate of one staff nurse.

Try telling that to our managers who refuse to hire or staff the wards with actual registered nurses.

Just doing a drug round for that many people and nothing else could take up all of an 8 hour shift...and that is only if one has no interrutpions. Not possible.


The vast vast majority of nurses who work in the NHS right now trained in the good old days and are nearing retirement.

The newer grads from the last few years cannot even get jobs so they haven't had a chance to prove themselves yet. They are stocking shelves at asda.

No they are not becoming "noctors" very very very few nurses are going down that route. The few who are going down that road are older nurses who trained back in the "good old days". In order to become a "noctor" a nurse needs years of nursing experience and post grad courses behind them.

The newer graduate (uni educated)nurses cannot even get jobs in the healthcare field in order to gain experience as a bedside nurse. Thus they are disqualified from becoming noctors.

Welcome to Blogland. I do like your style.

IJL said...

A Noctor in 13 weeks? I must have missed that boat. It took me a 3 year nursing degree 8 years in A&E and acute medicine. A couple of years as a lecturer in nursing. Along the way I picked up another degree and an Msc and a pair of PGcerts. Now, in my Noctorish way I see patients (maybe yours) at night. When you voted to opt out of OOH care who did you think was going to fill the gap?

What you really mean is that you want to return to the good old days when the Noctors only did the jobs you didn't want to do. You know the one, all those reviews and smears and clinics and vaccinations, oh so dull and beneath you. You know the funny thing is when I see a patient in the wee hours (when you're tucked up with teddy) I take a history and examine them and do you know how many say "no one's ever done that before"

Mousie said...

I don't know where you work, but in our trust, such noctors have several years experience as ward-based nurses and are educated to at least Bachelors, if not Masters degree level.

Regardless, (and just like doctors or any other professionals) some of them are better than others.

But the vast majority seem to be able to competently deal with the cut fingers, sprained wrists and broken toes they see day in, day out and, without a doubt,they take the strain off our busy A&E department.

Heaven forbid, sometimes they even teach the doctors a thing or two!

It's not for me, but it isn't all badness...

Advanced Practitioner said...

I work in the domain of GP's and had more than a 13 week course. I have been studying now for 10 years and will continue to do so, at prest the highest qualifcation i have attained is MSc. My anatomy, physiology, pharmocology etc has been honed and improved upon over the years, as would be expected as knowledge should not stand still. My patients tell me daily they prefer to see me because I talk, examine and educate them in my 10 minute slot, if at any time my knowledge fails me I would consult one of my GP colleagues as they consult me on areas where their knowledge lacks.
I do however agree you you on the increase of WIC nurses in my PCT who have only limited experience, a 4 week clinical skills course to pass and no prescribing qualification (pgds are used), many of these nurses have been mentored by myself and they soon realise the responsibility they are taking on and seek further academic and clinical qualifications.
Don't blame the nurses or 'noctors@, blame yourselves and the government, EWTD etc. I have said many times before and will continue to do so, there are many ways to skin a cat, just because one has used a particular method does not say that you can't get good results from another. Why not lobby the privvy counsel to push through the extended register then you will be assured the Noctor calling herself advanced is truely that!!